Is Antigua nice for a honeymoon? Yes! This spectacular Caribbean paradise is very popular with honeymooners and beach lovers; it’s famous for having 365 beaches, so you could visit a different one every day for a year! Antigua also has a vibrant cultural scene and historic sites and is known for fine dining, upscale shopping, fun nightlife, and a glamorous vibe, so there’s plenty to do off the beach
There are lots of Antigua honeymoon packages to choose from at chic resorts all over the island, so you can find the perfect place for your dream Antigua honeymoon. While you may pay a little more here than on other Caribbean islands, fans of Antigua say the extra money is worth it for the luxurious experience.
In this article, we’ll tell you all you need to know about Antigua honeymoons, including some of the best Antigua honeymoon resorts, fun Antigua honeymoon activities, and when to honeymoon in Antigua. We’ll also answer questions like is Antigua romantic and is it safe to go to Antigua.
Is Antigua romantic?
Yes, Antigua is romantic! In fact, the World Travel Awards has voted Antigua the “Most Romantic Destination” in the Caribbean multiple times. With gorgeous tropical scenery including a lush green interior, pristine white sand beaches, and calm turquoise waters; lots of sunshine and temperatures that average 84 degrees all year; stunning sunsets; and upscale resorts and restaurants, Antigua is an idyllic honeymoon destination.
Antigua honeymoon resorts
You will find all sorts of Antigua honeymoon resorts offering sophisticated, laidback luxury that’s perfect for your most memorable romantic vacation. Antigua honeymoon resorts that are all-inclusive offer some of the best Antigua honeymoon packages, for a truly stress-free and relaxing experience.
Here are a few of our picks for best Antigua honeymoon all-inclusive resorts. (For more ideas, check out 11 Amazing All Inclusive Resorts in Antigua.)
Sandals Grande Antigua
Sandals Grande Antigua has been voted “world’s most romantic resort,” making it a perfect Antigua honeymoon resort. Nestled amidst 27 acres of lush tropical landscaping, it features a stunning beach, luxurious suites, and all sorts of complimentary activities.
Sandals Grande Antigua is set on the most famous and best beach in Antigua, a long stretch of white sand along gorgeous Dickenson Bay. This beachfront adults-only all-inclusive resort in Antigua offers European elegance combined with barefoot luxury.
Sandals Antigua offers a variety of rooms and suites; a great honeymoon retreat is the Mediterranean Villa with Private Pool Sanctuary, a spacious one-bedroom villa that offers water views from the private patio with a pool and whirlpool, as well as a separate living room, a bathroom with walk-in rain shower and Roman whirlpool tub, and personal butler service.
Sandals’ unique Rondoval Suites are available at Sandals Antigua as well and come with butler service. These are beautiful round villas with vaulted ceilings and thatched roofs. The Caribbean Honeymoon Rondoval Suite with Private Pool Sanctuary offers a garden patio with a private pool. You can also stay in a Caribbean Beachfront Rondoval, which is located just steps from the sand and has a private furnished patio.
Lounge by one of 6 pools or 4 whirlpools, indulge at the spa, or wander the beautiful grounds, which are dotted with romantic secluded spots. There are 11 restaurants to enjoy on your Sandals Antigua honeymoon, with several on the beach, and 7 bars, including a swim-up bar and a tiki bar.
The water is calm and perfect for the complimentary watersports, including snorkeling, paddleboarding, canoeing, kayaking, scuba diving, windsurfing, and Hobie Cat sailing. Land activities include beach volleyball, basketball, day and night tennis, table tennis, croquet, yoga class, and a fitness center. There’s live entertainment nightly, as well as stunning sunsets over Dickenson Bay.
If you get married and then honeymoon at Sandals Antigua, or if you come here within 30 days of your wedding date, you’ll get Sandals’ complimentary honeymoon package. This includes a bottle of chilled sparkling wine, a special turndown service with flower petals on your bed the first evening of your honeymoon, and fresh flowers and breakfast in bed one morning of your choice.
Google Rating: 4.3
TripAdvisor Rating: 4
If you’re looking for an intimate honeymoon resort in Antigua, Hermitage Bay is waiting with just 30 lavish suites set in individual cottages that promise you privacy and romance.
Named one of the best Caribbean resorts for honeymoons, this boutique, all-inclusive resort is on Antigua’s secluded western shore. Sunset views from the private bungalows are breathtaking; all rooms face the Caribbean and have private terraces and outdoor rain showers. Hillside Pool Suites also offer private plunge pools.
Honeymooners here enjoy a waterfront pool, pristine beach and complimentary watersports, plus relaxing activities like yoga, Pilates, and meditation. There’s a spa and fitness center as well. The elegant restaurant is beachfront and serves fresh flavors melding Antiguan, European, and American influences. Live local music and entertainment happens nightly.
Google Rating: 4.7
TripAdvisor Rating: 5
Jumby Bay Resort
There’s nothing you need that you won’t be offered on Jumby Bay Island at the resort that received the 2020 Five-Star Award by Forbes Travel Guide. Intimate private dinners served on the beach, romantic sunsets, sumptuous rooms, gourmet restaurants, a spa, and flawless service are some of the things you’ll enjoy at Oetker Collection’s Jumby Bay Island.
This all-inclusive Antigua honeymoon resort, set on a 300-acre private island just off the coast, mixes seclusion and sophistication for the perfect honeymoon. With just 40 suites (each with private pool), guests here can find plenty of privacy amid the resort’s lush tropical grounds. Stroll the seemingly endless stretches of pristine white beach, snorkel or swim in the crystal clear water, go sailing, relax at the spa, take a nature walk, or bike around the island.
All meals and drinks are included in your stay; sip champagne at the elegant 1830 bar set in an historic plantation house, enjoy a tropical cocktail at the beach bar, savor gourmet cuisine at the fine dining restaurant, or relax by the water at the casually chic beachside restaurant.
Google rating: 4.7
TripAdvisor rating: 4.5
Galley Bay Resort and Spa
Overlooking gorgeous Galley Bay on one of the best beaches in Antigua, the adults-only all-inclusive Galley Bay Resort & Spa offers honeymooners a tranquil setting and luxe oceanfront suites or garden cottages with private plunge pools.
Couples can laze on the long stretch of white sand beach; swim in a lagoon-style pool; go snorkeling, kayaking, or sailing; indulge at the open-air spa; go to the fitness center; and enjoy beachfront dining.
Galley Bay has three open-air farm-to-table restaurants, a beach grill, a coffee shop, and multiple bars. The resort features live music, cocktail parties, Caribbean barbecues, and more in the evening, as well as cooking demonstrations and movies under the stars.
Google Rating: 4.8
TripAdvisor Rating: 4.5
Antigua honeymoon activities
There are plenty of things to do in Antigua for honeymoon couples, although you can also choose to do nothing at all! Here are some top Antigua honeymoon activities:
- Relax on a pristine beach. In addition to the beach at your resort, you can also go beach-hopping around the island. One of the most famous beaches in Antigua is Dickenson Bay Beach, but it can get crowded. If you’d like a more secluded spot, gorgeous choices include Half Moon Bay Beach, Darkwood Beach, Ffrye’s Beach, Pigeon Point Beach, Crab Hill Bay, and the Hawksbill Bay beaches.
- Swim with stingrays. At Stingray City, you can visit a coral reef and interact with friendly stingrays in crystal clear water. (Guides will take you there and show you how to do this safely.)
- Zipline through the jungle. Ever wonder what flying through the jungle treetops feels like? A rainforest zipline tour is a great way to find out.
- Visit Shirley Heights Lookout. A restored military lookout set high above English and Falmouth Harbours, this spot has beautiful views and is the perfect place for a romantic sunset with your sweetheart. There’s also a bar and restaurant here.
- Tour Nelson’s Dockyard National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This former British naval dockyard was constructed in the 1700s and has forts, several historic homes, and a museum where you can learn about the island’s history.
- Get active. A lush island with some interior jungle and hills, Antigua has plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy the natural beauty. These include hiking trails that lead to spots such as Shirley Heights and Devil’s Bridge, which is a limestone arch by the ocean. You can also go on a kayak tour through a mangrove lagoon.
- Explore Antigua. Antigua is a small island; you can easily rent a car or scooter and go exploring for the day to check out various towns, historic sites, and scenic spots. A popular road for this is Fig Tree Drive. Just remember that they drive on the left in Antigua! If this is an issue, you can also rent a car and driver to take you around.
- Take a sunset cruise. One of the most romantic things to do on your Antigua honeymoon is enjoy the spectacular sunset from a sailboat or yacht as you toast your future.
- Hang out with locals at Turner’s Beach Bar on Turner’s Beach, Johnson’s Point. This casual, authentic beach bar is a fun spot to unwind. It has a beautiful view of the island of Montserrat and they even serve dinner.
- Take a day trip. The neighboring island of Barbuda is just an hour and a half away by ferry. You can visit there to explore and enjoy its unique natural attractions, including pink sand beaches.
What is the best time to visit Antigua?
Antigua has warm weather all year, so it’s a great honeymoon destination at any time. December to April is the best time to visit Antigua for sunny weather, but this is also when rates will be highest.
The best time to visit Antigua for lower rates is from May to November, which is the island’s off-season. However, September to November is also the rainy season as well as peak hurricane season, so you may not want to book your honeymoon in Antigua during these months. If you do, be sure to get travel insurance.
Is it safe to go to Antigua?
Yes, you can honeymoon in Antigua safely. Antigua is one of the safest Caribbean islands, but there are some parts of it that are less so. Certain areas of St. John’s can be dicey; if you feel uncomfortable anywhere, simply leave that area. But for the most part, you can have a safe honeymoon in Antigua, especially if you follow our tips below.
Ask your resort to call taxis for you or recommend an authorized service when you’re leaving the property.
When you’re off the resort and exploring the island, follow the usual safety precautions such as traveling in groups or with at least one other person; staying in well-populated areas; keeping your valuables out of sight and in a safe place, such as a hotel safe or locked suitcase; and staying aware of your surroundings.
Don’t carry a lot of cash on you, and keep what money you do have (along with credit cards and ID) in a zipped purse or travel pouch concealed under your clothes. Make sure you have a copy of your passport, driver’s license, and credit cards in a safe location in case any of these are stolen. It is smart to keep your passport a safe location as well, rather than carry it with you (you can carry a copy instead).
If you go out to bars or nightclubs in Antigua, keep yourself safe just as you would at home. Don’t go alone—always in pairs or groups; stick to main streets and brightly lit areas, and always keep your eyes on your drink. If you consume alcohol, do so responsibly so you can stay alert.
Now that you’ve read our guide to Antigua honeymoons, what do you think? Does it sound like the perfect Caribbean island for your honeymoon? Let us know in the comments!