The Dominican Republic remains a popular honeymoon destination because of all that the beautiful island can offer. Whether you’re looking for adventurous activities and exploration, long days lounging by the ocean, or a mixture of both, honeymooners will find it in the DR. With their sandy picturesque beaches, a multitude of affordable resorts, and breathtaking natural beauty, the DR is a honeymooner’s paradise. Looking for a honeymoon that’s removed, tropical, and full of activity and relaxation? This is the one.
Is a honeymoon in Dominican Republic safe?
Yes. The Dominican Republic is safe to travel to. While the island’s name has occasionally frequented news outlets in reference to murder or theft, over the past several years, the country’s murder rate has dropped. In 2012, the rates were 22.1 per every 100,000 people and their rates have now lowered to 10.4 in 2018.
How to stay safe in the Dominican Republic
While the Dominican Republic is safe to travel to, like any type of travel, whether domestic or international, it’s always smart to stay safe. Below are a few tips to make sure you make it back home with your valuables in tow.
- Resort: Resorts across the DR are a dime a dozen and always have strong security. The chances of crime within a resort are very slim. These chances to rise when tourists take to the city, especially alone and especially at night.
- Explore the city, but do it right: Go in a group or with another person to see all that the Dominican Republic has to offer outside the resort for honeymooners. And make sure not to be in isolated areas, like parks at night or alone.
- Travel light: When you’re in the city, make sure to keep your valuables and things you don’t want stolen back in the hotel safe.
- If there’s a problem: Call hotel security or the police to report the matter.
When to honeymoon in the Dominican Republic
The best time of the year to visit the Dominican Republic is between March and May. The peak season rush will be dying down and the weather is still great. It stays warm year round in the DR with highs that average about 80 degrees. But, hurricane season is something to keep in mind. It lasts between June and November and the DR does have a history of experiencing some devastating tropic storms in the past.
Things to do
- Hike La Plaza: This gorgeous swimming area right outside of Punta Cana is a great place to hike. Their crystal-clear waters, numerous waterfalls and fun adventure will make honeymooners feel like they’re in another world. Guided tours to hike La Plaza should be high on every honeymooner’s list.
- Caribbean Water Sports Activities: There are so many fun things to do in the ocean. The DR offers a myriad of water sports like kayaking, snorkeling, stand up paddle boarding, scuba diving, catamaran sailing and deep-sea fishing. In fact, the DR is famous for it’s deep sea and big game fishing. Try to catch a marlin, yellowfin tuna or even a barracuda when you’re out on the water. Aside from there, there’s plenty of colorful fish and underwater sea caves to explore as well.
- Hit the Beach: Probably one of the biggest reason that any honeymooners venture to the Dominican Republic is for their famous beaches. The cerulean blue water and white sandy beaches make a romantic paradise. Plus, there are plenty of beaches. The Punta Cana/Bavaro beaches are more than 20 miles long and on the Sama Peninsula, the famous Playa Rincon is one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet.
- World Class Golf:The DR is a hot spot for golfers who love the game and pretty courses. The weather year round is wonderful and the changing topography of the island that includes hills, coastlines, and plenty of A+ courses is a draw to travelers and honeymooners from all over the world.
- Horseback Riding: This is a longtime honeymoon favorite of couples visiting the Dominican Republic. Depending on where you are, there are plenty of schedules to choose from. Horseback riding on the beach at sunset sounds pretty romantic. Or if you don’t want to ride on sand, choose an interior trail alongside waterfalls, up and down mountains or through the forest.
- Whale Watching: Did you know aside from Hawaii, the Dominican Republic is considered one of the best place in the world to watch whales? Honeymooners who want to get out on the open water will love this activity because humpbacks actually migrate to the DR to mate and give birth so your chances of seeing one, depending on what time of the year you go, are high. Check out Samana Bay for booking opportunities.
- Exploring Samana: Speaking of Samana, it has a lot more than whale watching to offer honeymooners. The Samana Peninsula juts out just east of the country and features hills that run down the middle, a shoreline on either side and the beautiful seaside town of Samana. The water is actually warmer here and hiking remote, deserted beaches is also a great activity.
Where to go in the Dominican Republic
The infamous Punta Cana, one of the most popular spots for honeymooners to go in all of the Dominican Republic, lives up to the hype. The white sandy beaches are almost so pretty you wouldn’t think they’re real. It’ll be rare that honeymooners won’t want to be on the beach, but when they do back to their rooms, they’ll have plenty to choose from. Punta Cana is all-inclusive resort heaven and we’ve listed some of our favorites in the section below. Punta Cana remains a popular honeymoon destination because of its beautiful views, luxury resorts and ability to help honeymooners relax.
This lively and thriving metropolis is the capital of the Dominican Republic and definitely worth exploring. It’s also one of the largest cities in the Caribbean by population. If you’re looking for a little night life, a whole lot of adventure and somewhere new and exciting to explore, the capital city of Santo Domingo is perfect for your honeymoon. There’s plenty to do, plenty to see and plenty to eat. Fun activities like merengue dancing, romantic dinners and cultural tours await the honeymooners who want to visit Santo Domingo.
The beautiful coast side city of La Romana is perfect for honeymooners who are looking to escape the hustle and the bustle. Their pristine beaches set against a Dominican Republic sunset is one of the most romantic sights honeymooners can see. Plus, the population of the town is small, so if you’re looking for a rugged adventure across the shores and valleys of the Dominican Republic, La Romana is the place to be. Much to many husband’s delight. It’s also a golfer’s paradise. World famous golfers love to play at Casa De Campo. Beyond golfing, La Romana offers clear waters for swimming and snorkeling, and interesting art museums and galleries for honeymooners who want to see a historical side of the city.
Las Terrenas is located on the northeast coast of the Samana Peninsula. The protected crystal blue inshore waters are a perfect place for honeymooners to relax and take a swim. Beyond that, their sandy beaches covered in palm trees with quaint fishing boats that are scattered along the coast looks almost too picturesque to be real. Most of the year, this part of the island stays warm. In fact, it only fluctuates about 20 degrees between summer and winter. The underrated, undeveloped and scenic town of Las Terrenas is a great low key spot for honeymooners to explore.
Camp on Playa Rincon
These beautiful modern tents tailored made for honeymooners who are looking for a little adventure. The jacuzzis outside, the climate proof structure, and stunning decor will make sure that honeymooners not only relax and get in the romantic spirit, but have a fun time doing it. There’s also spa treatment and onsite yoga. Sounds pretty perfect to be.
Ultimate Luxury Camping Getaway for Two on Heavenly Playa Rincon, Dominican Republic
These beautiful glamping tents on the beach of Playa Rincon are perfect for honeymooners who are looking to be in nature, but not completely exposed to it. The jacuzzi pools and amenities that come along with the glamping tents are romantic and perfect for a honeymoon getaway.
Lovely Beachside Vacation Rental with a Jet Tub in Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
This beautiful beachside cottage is great for honeymooners who are looking for plenty of room and privacy. The modern and luxurious amenities along with the relaxing villa will help honeymooners enjoy the property and each other.
SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The Historic Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando Hotel
This luxury boutique hotels offers honeymooners the perfect home base as the explore Santo Domingo. The beautiful property is tranquil and houses 92 room. Their delicious restaurant is well praised and the property is actually comprised of three stone houses built in1502 and is the restored 16th century home of the city’s founder, Nicolás de Ovando, the first governor of the Americas.
Casa Bonita Santo Domingo
This beautiful all-inclusive property is perfect for honeymooners who want adventure and relaxation. Casa Bonita offers a relaxing and romantic spa, a beautiful infinity pool, a hot tub, rooms with rain showers and a beautiful view of the Caribbean. Their great amenities also include wifi, breakfast, ziplining, horseback riding, snorkeling and bike rentals. The beautiful scenery of the hotel is a great spot for honeymooners to feel romantic while all of their inclusive activities are guaranteed to get honeymooners out of their room and into some fun.
Puntacana Resort & Club
This is a luxurious destination located in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic where couples can escape for a romantic beachfront getaway. The Puntacana Resort & Club is more than just a resort and club. This luxury hotel is made up of 13 beachfront secluded villas that are designed for honeymooners. In addition, honeymooners can enjoy a serene and peaceful day at the Six Senses Spa, the only location within the Americas, which provides an array of different treatments, specifically for couples such as the Romance Journey ritual, including a full body massage and facial specifically formulated for each individual.
For honeymooners who are looking for something more active, enjoy the two 18-hole golf courses located within the resort,Corales Golf Course, home to the only PGA tour stop in the Dominican Republic. Honeymooners can also enjoy dinner at one of the nine restaurants located within the resort, including two AAA Diamond Award-winning eateries.
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
This impressive oceanfront resort is one of Punta Cana’s newest and most luxurious all-inclusive resorts. The 600 room property has a giant pool, a beautiful white-sand beach, seven restaurants, and a name-brand liquor at no extra charge. If you’re looking for intimacy and sophistication on your honeymoon, the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana is the place to stay. The resort’ has an adult-only section that has access to private pool areas, oceanfront rooftop bars, VIP lounges, 24-hour room service, an in-room bar selection, and 13 bars located throughout the property.
Sanctuary Cap Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican republic
This beautiful resort just went through a multimillion-dollar renovation. The adult-only property has brand new, luxury suites fit for queens and kings celebrating their marriage, including the Castle Island Suite that treats guests to the privacy of access to their own island.
With accommodations like sweeping views of the Caribbean Sea, date spots at the resort’s gourmet dining outlets, and a world-class spa with a number of romantic couples treatments and a new ZEN garden, shower paths and hydrotherapeutic pools. The resort is based on a colonial Spanish feel and is on more than 20 acres with 2,100 feet of pristine ocean.
Casa de Campo
Located in the Dominican Republic, the Casa de Campo is a well-known destination for romance and honeymoons. Their gourmet food and wonderful wines, a 370-slip Marina & Yacht Club, Polo & Equestrian Club, La Terraza Tennis Center and 245-acre Shooting Club are a few of the most impressive amenities. Spanning 7,000 tropical acres on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic, this luxury Caribbean. The entire property is a village modeled after a 16th century Mediterranean city with boutique shops, museums and a 5,000-seat Grecian-style amphitheater inaugurated by Frank Sinatra in August of 1982.
They also have a year-round Romance is in the Air package that includes Dominican-born Aphrodisiac – Mamajuana. This drink was once used as a vitality drink and was only available “underground.”
CHIC by Royalton — Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
CHIC by Royalton: This property provides newlyweds with an All Exclusive™ with a great poolside atmosphere. From daytime parties to nightly themed parties and entertaining performance, CHIC is a great honeymoon spot for couples who are ready to party. With 320 stylish suites on the property, six different restaurants and multiple bars, honeymooners will have plenty of upscale luxury to keep them busy.
The honeymoon package includes free hydrotherapy circuit at the Spa, a newlywed room upgrade and a private dinner for two on the beach. For a truly elevated honeymoon experience, CHIC couples have the chance to upgrade to Diamond Club™ where they are able to check-in to their own lobby, relax in their own lounge complete with complimentary snacks and top-shelf beverages and enjoy indulgences such as personal butlers, a private mermaid pool and an exclusive beach area. The ground floor of Diamond Club™ suites are adorned with personal plunge pools that serve as the perfect place to take in all the action poolside while relaxing waist deep in cool waters away from the crowd.
Barceló Bávaro Beach: Punta Cana
The adults-only, all-inclusive resort is tucked along Bavaro Beach with 580 rooms, 11 restaurants, two bars and a large swimming pool. Honeymooners will definitely have plenty to keep them entertained on this property. The resort’s Premium Level Ocean Front Suite Room is great for honeymooners because it comes with a hot tub, a living room, beautiful views of the Caribbean. Plus, guests get a free round of golf per person and Premium Level perks (including concierge service, 24-hour room service and complimentary daily use of the U-Spa’s hydrotherapy circuit).
The resort’s complimentary ‘In Love Package,’ includes an upgrade to the next room category, priority check in, late check out, continental breakfast in room the first day and a bottle of sparkling wine and Petit Fours delivered to room. Aside from all these amenities, there’s also a nightclub, a casino and a state of the art health and wellness center. This romantic and adventurous property was made for honeymooners.
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
With 96 luxurious suites, beautiful gardens, an outdoor pool, a spa, a fitness center, four gourmet restaurants, three bars and lounges, room service, and free WiFi, this property has everything that honeymooners will need for a romantic getaway. This is one of the top-rated hotels in Punta Cana because the elegant suites have hardwood floors, palapa roofs, large flat-screen TVs, and private terraces with great views of the gardens or the sea. The minibars are refreshed twice a day and Zoetry Agua Punta Cana is tailor made for honeymooners who want luxury, relaxation and romance.